New Year trip in Brazil
Why you'll love this trip
Discover the treasures of Brazil on this adventure! From the heat of Rio’s nightlife and New Year’s celebrations to the chilled-out atmosphere of Ihla Grande and the colonial town of Paraty.
Example trip itinerary
Day 1. Arrival in Rio de Janeiro
On arrival in Rio, an airport transfer is included to bring you to the hotel. We check into our centrally-located hotel in Copacabana (check-in time is around 3pm) and enjoy the city. «God made the world in six days, the seventh he devoted to Rio,» say the Cariocas, residents of this beautiful city. You will soon see why.
Day 2. Rio de Janeiro
We explore the “Cidade Maravilhosa” (marvelous city). Few cities in the world enjoy such a dramatic setting as Rio. Brilliant, white beaches in Copacabana and Ipanema, the deep blue waters of the Atlantic, the luminescent green of Guanabara Bay, and the bare blue slopes of the “sugar loaf” all combine to make Rio unique. Standing over it all, at the top of the Corcovado mountain, we visit the huge statue of Christ the Redeemer: the best place to appreciate the city. We also get superb panoramic views of the city from the top of the Pao de Açucar -sugar loaf – reached by cable car.
Day 3 & 4. Rio de Janeiro
We head to some of the famous beaches, and we prepare ourselves for an experience unlike anything else on Earth: New Year’s celebration in Rio!!! We dance until we cannot and -after some sleep- we take it easy on the first day of the year in this amazing city.
Day 5, 6, & 7. Ilha Grande
From Rio we head south along the Atlantic coast by a public Brazilian bus to one of the picturesque, laid-back islands on the coast, llha Grande. You can relax and walk the clean sand beaches or bathe in the warm waters of this paradise island. One day we take a boat tour included to go around the island and snorkel. We take hikes through the jungle to the waterfalls, a nearby black sand beach and other secluded beaches. You can also hang out in the laid-back World Heritage town center. The local fauna and flora in Ilha Grande, a national heritage protected area, are extremely diverse. Mountain range, coastal, mangrove and prairie vegetation are all found here, along with an astonishing collection of bird life and different kinds of monkeys. Rio de Janeiro and Ilha Grande are 150 km away from each other. The estimated travel time is 4 hours (1 hour by ferry).
Day 8, 9, & 10. Paraty
We continue by ferry and private van to Paraty. This quaint, colonial town is an architectural gem famous for its churches. Located on Brazil´s Costa Verde or «green coast,» Paraty is known both for the natural beauty of its surroundings and its excellent cachaça. Considered one of the world´s most important examples of Portuguese colonial architecture by UNESCO, the historic center is a well-preserved national historical monument, and today is closed to vehicles to preserve its laid-back colonial ambience. Explore the cobblestone streets and cafés of the historical center of Paraty, and enjoy our included tour of the bay, visiting pristine nearby beaches and emerald waters. Paraty´s bay is filled with over 65 tropical islands and dozens of beaches, each offering something different, and all covered with vegetation that remains lush and colorful year-round. The water of the bay is always at the right temperature for swimming, diving and snorkeling. The national parks that encircle the town are filled with trails, wildlife and waterfalls. Hiking or horseback riding, for the sports minded, or a jeep or van tour are both excellent ways to appreciate this natural wilderness.
The trip from Ilha Grande to Paraty approximately covers a distance of 100 km, with an estimated travel time of 2.5 hours (1 hour by ferry).
Day 11. Rio de Janeiro
Travel back to Rio. Enjoy the last night out in the city.
Day 12. Departure
Fly back home today at any time, taking with you new memories of amazing experiences and discoveries.
- Activities & Entrances:
- Rio de Janeiro City Tour with visits to the Christ Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain for great panoramic views over the city.
- New Year’s Eve celebration in Rio de Janeiro!
- Caipirinha boat tour around the island of Ihla Grande
- Boat tour to beaches around Paraty
- Visit to a Cachaca distillery near Paraty
- Enjoy lots of beautiful beaches and Brazilian joy of life
- Airport transfer upon arrival
- Private vehicle for city tour in Rio de Janeiro
- Public Brazilian bus from Rio de Janeiro to Angra do Reis
- Ferry from Angra do Reis to Ihla Grande
- Caipirinha boat around island
- Private vehicle Angra do Reis – Paraty
- Private vehicle Paraty – Rio de Janeiro
- Double room accommodation at 3-star centrally-located hotels
- 5 nights in Rio de Janeiro
- 3 nights on Ihla Grande (island)
- 3 nights in Paraty
- All breakfasts (at the hotels)
- Professional local English and Spanish speaking guides
- Support from Vamos Expeditions staff
- International flights
- Lunches and dinners not mentioned above and any drinks
- Souvenirs and personal expenses at the hotels
- Travel insurance
- Extra excursions or transportation not mentioned above
- Visa fee if you decide to pay trough internet (4% extra charge over the price)
- Transfer to the airport at the end of the trip
Please cotac us.
- Boat tour in the Bay of Rio de Janeiro
- Delta flight over Rio de Janeiro
- Surf lessons and board rentals in Rio de Janeiro, Ihla Grande, Paraty
- Diving in Ihla Grande or Paraty
- Horseback riding
We will craft and tailor the perfect dream journey for you.
Every trip helps support local conservation and social projects.
We will take care of all the details and logistics for you