North Brazil: Sao Luis to Fortaleza
Why you'll love this trip
If you do not mind having some adventure, and you like nature and interacting with the local people of North Brazil, this is the trip for you. Come and explore North Brazil and the states of Maranhão, Piauí and Ceará with us!
This trip can be taken as a group -with a Vamos tour leader joining you- or as an independent adventure with as few as one person. In every place you travel, there will be local contact people waiting for you.
Example trip itinerary
Day 1 Arrival in São Luís
You arrive at any time. São Luís is the only city in Brazil founded by the French.
Day 2 São Luís
A walk around the Historical Centre is the perfect way to see the beauty of this charming colonial town rich in folkloric traditions. Enjoy dinner, the night life and the live music in the main square!
Day 3 Lençóis Maranhenses National Park
You start early in the morning today. Beautiful remote scenery, mangroves, oases with crystalline waters, white sand dunes, interesting fauna and migratory birds are some of the attractions of this 1550 square kilometer national park. You first visit the area called “Grandes Lençóis”, meaning “big bed sheets” because of the appearance of the sand dunes. This is a stunning part of Brazil that few people have the privilege to visit.
Day 4 Rio Preguiças
A boat journey along the “Rio Preguiças” takes you to Caburé. You can stop at Mandacaru Village – and go up the light house for an amazing 360-degree view- and then at Vassouras – part of which is called the “Pequenos Lençóis” or “small bed sheets” – an Environmental Protected Area, where you may see some monkeys! You spend the night between the river and the Atlantic Ocean.
Day 5-6: Paulino Neves / Parnaíba / Delta das Americas 4x4
Enjoy the unique simplicity of the farming communities you pass through on your 4×4 route: pigs, goats, and kids bathing in the river are some of the day-to-day scenes of this beautiful, pure area. You then get to Parnaíba – the second biggest city of the state of Piauí. The Delta das Americas, also known as Delta do Parnaíba, is the only delta to open into the Atlantic Ocean. A morning boat trip offers the chance to visit one of the biggest mangrove forests in the world which is 2700 square kilometers of islands, beaches, lagoons, sand dunes and mangroves! The delta is home to amazing fauna and with a bit of luck you might see iguanas, snakes, crabs, monkeys, caiman and the beautiful scarlet ibis, without counting other bird species.
Day 7-8-9 Jericoacoara 4x4
You reach Jeri in a 4×4. The bumpy journey is part of the experience! Beautiful beaches and rustic villages are part of your itinerary. Jeri is one of the few spots in Brazil where it is possible to see the sunset over the ocean. You go on a buggy trip to visit Lagoas Azul and Paraíso. You can ride a horse along desolate beaches, go for capoeira lessons or climb the sand dunes and try sandboarding. A good nightlife with lots of forró music waits for you.
Day 10 Fortaleza
After lunch, a local bus takes you to Fortaleza (6hrs). Enjoy the last day of the tour.
Day 11 Departure Day
- Free day to explore the French colonial town of Sao Luis
- 4×4 Trip to Lençóis Maranhenses National Park
- Boat journey to Caburé
- Delta das Americas boat tour
- Buggy trip to Lagoa Azul and Lagoa Paraíso in Jericoacoara
- Breakfast every day
- 1 lunch (Day 4)
- Drinks and beverages are not included
(Allow around $40 USD per day for meals not included and other expenses)
- 10 nights in guesthouses/ hotels based on a single, twin/double or triple room
- Several 4×4 private and shared scenic journeys
- transfers through remote areas
- Local public buses on occasions and boat journeys
- Travel Insurance (mandatory)
- Visa fees (if required) and airport tax
- Any International Flights and additional flights to/from the beginning and end of the tour
- Arrival and Departure Transfers/taxis; Transfer/taxi to the hotel in Fortaleza (Day 10)
- Optional Trips/ services available during the tour
- Meals, beverages not specified in the chosen itinerary, including items from the guesthouse/hotel minibar
- Any other item/service not mentioned in the tour description; laundry, internet, phone calls & other personal expenses
- Tips to Local Guides and restaurant staff
Please cotac us.
We will craft and tailor the perfect dream journey for you.
Every trip helps support local conservation and social projects.
We will take care of all the details and logistics for you